12.21.2009

So Sorry!

I don't really know if anyone reads this, but if you are, I'm so sorry I've been M.I.A. for so long. This past week has been nuts! Derek and I have had multiple holiday things to go to, and plenty of last minute Christmas shopping to do, and my very best friend has just come home from college for the holidays. In reality I just haven't had the motivation to post anything, and I think the main reason other than all the chaos at home and work is that I just don't know who I'm writing to. It feels like I'm just throwing this all out into a big black hole and nothing is coming back at me. Are you out there? If so, leave a little comment, or send a message my way!

By the way, I made the most delicious cupcakes for a holiday party! I am in love with them! Here they are:

Cream Soda Toffee Cupcakes (With the most amazing Brown Butter Frosting!)

Cream Soda-Toffee Cupcakes:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cream soda (not diet)
3/4 cup toffee pieces

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line eighteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. Combine four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In large bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high 30 seconds. Add sugars; beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, on low until combined. Beat in molasses and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture, buttermilk, and cream soda to butter mixture, bating on low speed after each addition until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the toffee. Fill cups 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool. Frost; top with remaining toffee.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
dash of salt
1-2 Tbsp. buttermilk

In saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes; cool. In bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter with mixer on medium 30 seconds. Add cooled brown butter; beat until combined. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and dash of salt. Beat in 1-2 Tbsp. buttermilk until spreadable. Use immediately. If frosting begins to set up, stir in a small amount of boiling water.

1 comment: